1.07.2009

My Winter Wonders



I have always lived in Southern CA for my life's winters. So here are a few little nuggets of surprise during my first entire REAL winter in Utah.

  • If you step on chewed gum it won’t stick to your shoe... because it is frozen.

  • Hand sanitizer gel does not freeze if left in below freezing temps in your car. ( I don’t suggest using it at this temperature though, unless you want frostbite).

  • Parents start frequenting McDonalds indoor play center A LOT as a way to exhaust their children’s pent-up-indoors-energy. I have no idea what moms would do this... And yes I always buy something for the kids. A legitimate customer just using the play center. Uh, I mean…


  • Allowing the car to properly warm up before you drive it, gives plenty of time for in-car make-up applications, which were previously frowned upon by the husband.

  • I almost get to live a scene from a movie everyday! You know, in Home Alone when the bad guys slip down the icy basement stairs?

  • The outside air feels inappropriately good when coming out of the gym after a work out. For about 30 seconds mind you.

  • More time indoor with my kids…can never get enough.

  • More time to read while simultaneously entertaining my kids of course.

  • Getting to wear cute scarves and coats because I actually need to.


  • No spiders anywhere!


  • Beautiful geese and ducks around the neighborhood because their stream is frozen over.

  • You could leave your restaraunt leftovers in your car all night and they would be colder than the refrigerator and still edible when you finally remember in the morning!


  • The beauty and peace of a winter white wonderland;


  • Until your rear wheel drive car with low profile tires (which cannot accommodate snow chains) attempts to drive on this white wonderland, but manages only to slip and slide.

  • Building a snow man is not as easy as it looks on tv nor that fun.

  • Chapstick left in the car does not melt (added by Lance)


I am really learning to appreciate the seasons. Well mainly spring, summer and fall. But if I didn't have winter I wouldn't appreciate the other ones that much. I really am a warm environment flower. My husband forgot to read my label before moving me here. The thing I MISS the most is being outside all the time and digging my fingers into the warm dirt, gardening, with the sun on my back. I can't wait until the snow melts and I can plant a garden. But for now maybe I need to get some sleds and just try to build another snowman, this time with gloves, silly.



5 comments:

Marie' said...

Loved your list.
Wipes do freeze, and kids love it. The baby doesn't.

Melissa said...

Funny. When we were out in Utah last week, Jeff came in one morning with a water bottle we left in the car. It was frozen solid. I can't tell you how much I appreciated the warmth of San Diego after being in that freezer of a place. The seasons really do make things more exciting though.

Cristina said...

I really like this post, it makes me want to be in UT right now. I think the one about the leftovers is funny. But if I remember correctly I don't think leaving the leftovers in the car overnight ever stoped Lance from eating them the next day. Didn't he once eat leftover pizza that had been left in your car in the garage on a hot summer day? Too funny...we miss you guys and are hoping to make a trip ut there some time this year.

Krustee said...

I do wish we got winter here...but 1-2 weeks is plenty for me. Funny post!

Patti said...

Oh, Amanda - you will appreciate San Diego when you get back here (notice I said "when" not "if"!) White, snowy winters can be beautiful - they can also be
l o n g . . . Hope your's isn't! Love, Mom