10.10.2008

Visit From My Family

Me & Jackson (candid)
Me & Mom

Pretty Patti (candid)


Keldon pretending he's Gavin (candid)



Handsome dad - Brad

Playing before their family picture.



Lance - What a hunk!
Messervy family photo.

There's something you can't see though. So let me zoom in a little.

There. Can you see better?

Yes. That IS saltwater taffy stuck on my husband's

front teeth for our Christmas family photo.

He's sooo funny.

Candid shot of my cute and still in love parents.

My mother came for a great visit for the last 11 days of September. It really flew by! The kids had so much fun with their grandmommy. Gavin was really close to her before we moved and I think he was a little traumatized and didn’t understand why we couldn’t see her more often. So when she finally came he didn’t want her to leave his sight for fear he wouldn’t see her again. He would get a pouty lip at bedtime, not sure that he could trust me when I told him she would still be here in the morning. She showered them with lots of love and special little gifts. She even had Gavin go on a scavenger hunt all over the house for a teddy bear which he loved! He wanted to do the scavenger part over and over.

I put my mom right to work when she got here by spending the day canning peaches from a tree in our backyard. They were so delicious. Too bad fruit ripens all at the same time. It would be so great to just go out and pick a perfect a peach whenever I wanted one. Oh wait, I’m not in the Garden of Eden you say? Well, anyways I am so thankful for the wonderful fruit I did get and for my mom’s expertise at canning. It’s not as hard as I thought, but still can’t do it by myself with 2 little ones needing something at the most inconvenient moments during the process. I love having fruit trees and always want to grow them wherever I live! We also did lots of spontaneous shopping. I did more window shopping than anything, though my husband doesn’t believe me.

Honey, Tai Pan really won’t take back all of the holiday decorations I bought. That’s just their policy. And of course I didn’t plan that intentionally!

It was such a relief to have help in the evenings and nice to have my mom there to talk to. I usually don’t see Lance until after the kid’s bedtime so you can imagine my joy to have my mom visit. I think she was probably exhausted by the end of her trip and was singing praises to only have a senior at home still. They’re almost empty nesters! The last couple of days my brother Keldon and dad drove up as well. They took Keldon on a tour of BYU one day and visited my sweet grandma Hatch who recently moved nearby to an assisted living home another day. We didn’t get to see them long enough, but it was so great to get our fix. Thank you for visiting! We had so much fun and love you!

8 comments:

Marie' said...

Amanda, you look great! Your family picture is beautiful, too. So funny that Lance put the thing on his teeth. That reminds me... One Christmas Scott was looking at our Christmas picture on the computer, and was frustrated that he was the only one really fair. Scott's skin gets red and it never tans. The rest of us were still tan from the summer. So we got on photoshop to play with the colors and make him tan. It looked so weird to see him tan, and then we saw that his teeth color had changed too and got this yellowish tint. We laughed so hard, and then Scott decided not to mess with reality.

Christine said...

saltwater taffy... thats cracking me up!! I love pulling stuff like that in family photos!

We're coming to Utah on December seventh-ish.. are you guys sticking around for Christmas, or retreating to warmer weather? We'd love to see you!

Patti said...

I love all the pictures! Couldn't you photoshop that extra roll of flab off of me - really! Lance, the taffy looks pretty funny. We had a great time, didn't we? I really was not exhausted. I miss you guys! Glad to have your bed back, Lance??? You were so generous. I am so glad we got to can the peaches - it was way fun. I am so glad that Gavin l o v e d the scavenger hunts. I had fun doing them. Does he still like his teddy bear? Does Jackson like his turtle?
Love, Mom

Cristina said...

I am glad to hear that your family came up to see you guys. It sounds like everyone had such a good time. I think the family picture will look great on your Christmas cards. I will be looking of it this year and it will hang on my fridge all next year, I can't wait. Good to see you on the blog again :-).

Kimberly said...

Oh, I'm so glad you got a visit from your mom and dad. Isn't it amazing how much more precious those moments are when we don't get to experience them as often. I have yet to go to Tai Pan Trading...I've heard it's addicting! You look so beautiful and amazing--as always! I bet your family Christmas cards are going to turn out great!

Kim and Dallas said...

Oh Lancey Poo! I told Dallas about the salt water taffy on the teeth and he thought it was really funny..... our darling husbands are such little kids at heart :-) Mom send me some Halloween sprinkles. They are very fun! Aaliyah loved her halloween card from Gavin, that was very thoughtful of you and him. Aaliyah turned two today! I cannot believe it :) It goes by way to fast.

Melissa said...

I just saw your mom doing Prop 8 stuff today. The pictures are darling. You have such a cute family.

Kimberly said...

If you drive through southern Utah, in December, I hope you know you are always welcome to stay with us. We have an extra bedroom (king bed) and bathroom and everything! You are more then welcome and we would have a ball seeing you. Actually, I was just reminiscing with Devon, the other day, about our DaKine's days with you guys. We really had so much fun together! We miss you!